Thursday, August 25, 2011

When I Think of Florida Historty I think Of

When I think of Florida History, I mean I think of the history of the twentieth century and onward. I always think of things such as Disneyworld and current events. I have only been to Disneyworld twice. One time when I was around ten I went to Disneyworld and around last December I went to Disneyworld for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Florida history also brings to my mind Palm Beach and South Florida. I've been to Hobe Sound and quite frankly I thought it is very nice. With Palm Beach I always think of the glitz and glamor of Worth Drive. I also do think of Florida history that's less recent. Ponce de Leon comes to mind and the search for the fountain of youth. With regards to current events I tend to think of the total collapse of Charlie Crist’s senate campaign. I also think of the fact that I really dislike Rick Scott. I do not think he’s the most qualified person to be governor of Florida. I feel his ties to the medical industrial complex (also known as the medical industry) could create a lot of conflicts.

4 comments:

Vezin_0491 said...

When I think of Florida history, I mean I think about it and love it—in what may be an idealistic way. This state is steeped in such a rich and sad history, the inklings of which still pervade in rare parts of the land and culture. My mind is instantly drawn to the time when people were setting out into the Florida scrub and, fighting all odds, making a life for themselves in the unknown. I think of the beginnings of the cattle trade, and the boats filled with scrub cows leaving Tampa to bring Cuba their beef supply. Unfortunately, I also think about Disney and all of the attractions that have skyrocketed the population and leveled nature’s beauty. Then I wonder, where are e going?

J Chambliss said...

As we move forward, keep in mind these initial thoughts about Florida and consider how a deeper understanding of the state's history add or subtract from these views.

Kris Karpinia said...

When I think of Florida's history, I think of the Treasure Coast, I think of man overcoming a swamp and then trying to fix it again. I think of the Seminole Indians and the two wars this country fought against them and the hurricanes that wipe-out everything in their paths. More recently I've come to learn that Florida's history is now a tourist destination, a place for those who seek warmth and relaxation during the cold winter months of the north. The population of this state exploded in the last half of the 20th century arguably due to one invention, the air conditioner. The history of this state is rich, filled with many different ethnic cultures that have graced its presence.

Matthew Steeples said...

A little review of Worth Drive and Palm Beach in general by my friend Thomas (T.J.) James: http://dasteepsspeaks.blogspot.com/2011/12/grace-of-palm-beach.html