Saturday, November 17, 2007

Oops typo...and Turtle Mound

I meant to say "FLAGLER did so much for Florida." I spelled my title wrong.

This post is about my other topic, Turtle Mound. The reason I was so amazed by Turtle Mound, which is located in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, is that I had never heard of it until now. It is a very historical site. It is the largest and one of the oldest mounds in the entire nation. I have been to New Smyrna Beach so many times and I never heard about, or saw for that matter, Turtle Mound.

There is a boardwalk that climbs the fifty-five feet it takes to reach the top. Along the boardwalk there are facts about Turtle Mound and lots of interpretative information. It is crazy to me that there are so many historical sites all throughout our nation, and most people don't even know they exist. I am sure most people living in Florida would have no idea what Turtle Mound is or why it was historic and important. Hopefully my episode will bring a little more attention to Turtle Mound.

No comments: