Sunday, November 4, 2007

The History Engine vs. Seminoles: Round I

Im going to be honest here, chapter 11 is a long read. But before I get into the semantics of what is known as chapter 11 I will begin by discussing the History Engine Project. I first started the project with little to no interest, just another project to complete get an A and move on. But i must say that my topic on Seminole Indians is quitintriguing. My source is a journal of an American captain sent to Florida to help remove the Indians. In the journal he basically spells out how the indians died and were removed. It is interesting to note that in the journal he has no passion or emotion. The journal is very dry and straightforward much like a newspaper article. To me this lack of humanity came off as heartless and cruel. I believe this says a lot about the American culture of the time and how the Native Americans were viewed. Chapter 11 discussed economic crisis, change in political atmosphere, and forward advancement of culture and civil rights. To me this chapter felt as precursor for chapters to come, mainly because nothing major happened. 

No comments: