Sunday, November 6, 2011

David McCullough

David McCullough's lecture was one of the finest talks I have ever been luck enough to attend. The thing that resonates with me the most is something he said in the very beginning of his lecture-- "You can't love something you don't know." Simple, but profound in its pure truth. Throughout my life I have found that I am enthralled with the history of things I love: archery, ecology, the South, my family, Florida, etc.. As I go deeper into the history of these things I find that they are even more amazing than I ever realized before. The centuries of history of the thing I love have all led me to be the person I am today.

Another one of McCullough's points was "go where things happened." I'm sure that he would fully support our study of Florida's vast history. We are in the heart of where the action took place. Edenville is just a short car ride away. One of Florida's key Civil War Battles was fought a few miles from my home. We are in the heart of what we are learning.

Another great quote that must have been specifically directed to Tyler: "History is NOT just about politics and the military--its everything." See Tyler...

No comments: