Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ali's Poster Explanation

Poster One: Home and Consumerism With this poster I tried to mock the consumerism culture in America, especially evident in Winter Park. The titles throughout the poster such as "I shop therefore I am" suggest that people think they need material goods. But in the end, they are never satisfied. Moreover, I wanted to emphasized "society versus self" argument in this poster. Do we really buy to make us or other people happy? Poster Two: Gender and the Home I divided up the poster in two spaces with the male side on the left and the female side on the right. But then combined the two in the center. I wanted to show that even for both separate genders and their diverse needs, Winter Park has it all (and always has). I mocked Winter Park's stylish and always groomed housewife on the bottom right. I also wanted to show a city specific element, the Winter Park Farmer's Market with an image that is controversial but thought-provoking. The images on the top show how men and women took care of the home in the past. And the central image is a man and woman enjoying WP in the present. Poster Three: Race and the Home This poster I tried to show how Winter Park was a Dream that came about through the hard work of African Americans of our past. They were slaves and negroes who labored in the fields and built churches, such as Mount Moriah. No matter what they had continuous faith throughout it all. They had to overcome the eras of slavery and segregation but eventually they obtain their civil rights (as we see in the central background image). Poster Four: With this poster, I tried to create how homes in Winter Park are viewed from the outside, looking in. I was inspired by the scenic boat tour we took through the lakefront areas of Winter Park. I tried to emphasize that in WP the ideal home needs to be huge from the outside, a lakefront property and have a charming, welcoming interior. Also, being in sunny Florida I wanted to create the vibe of sunshine and correlate it to paradise. The words "dream" and "vision" immediately came to my mind when I was thinking of ideas for this poster, which I hope to have captured in this poster.

No comments: