Sunday, September 30, 2007

Rollins Golf?

Friday was an interesting day in the library as I continued my research on the Winter Park Country Club. I was able to uncover a whole folder dedicated a part of Rollins history many people are unaware of. This folder contained pictures and the lay out of the Rollins College golf course, on campus! The course started on the banks of Lake Virginia in the area now home to Elizabeth Hall and went all the way up Park Avenue. Students and faculty alike played the course which was played in the late 1800's into the start of the 1900's. The pictures show the course which seems well kept for the time and included a glimpse of early Rollins style for students. This small bit of Rollins history shows the diversity of our campus and the numerous changes that have occurred over the years.

2 comments:

Anthony Saurini said...

The Brewer House

At first my assignment seemed bland, I mean seriously writing about an old house never sounds good to me. But to my surprise that house has had some interesting owners. The most had to be a drug lord who was arrested inside the Brewer house. he had significantly changed the houses architecture. He had added things like false wall and weapons deposits. It was a pretty crazy thing to come across while researching the topic.
Hopefully more crazy things will come my way while finishing this project...

Anthony

Louisa said...

Speaking of the Golf course, I found out today that Mr. Charles Morse gave the piece of land that was the 1st tee of the golf course to the womens club.