Monday, October 29, 2007

Research in Archives

As we researched our topic for the History Engine, I was very surprised by how much historical context can be found behind something that we would normally consider very ordinary or even insignificant. When looking for my first primary source, I came across a railroad ticket from the 1890s. Today, we would not even consider keeping a railroad ticket or airplane ticket after we have used it. However, this was a ticket to the South Florida Railroad, purchased shortly after it was constructed. Therefore I decided that my first episode would be about the development of that railroad line. Through research I realized how much more complicated and difficult building a railroad at that time was than I had imagined. I found out how much capital and labor the enterprise required, and how difficult construction was considering the Florida environment.
For my second primary source I will pick something about the Flagler Memorial Church. I haven't been able to find a good document yet, but I am looking forward to learning more about a place I have actually visited before but never really studied more about even though it is of great historical significance for several reasons such as its schoolhouse or the Spanish fort.

No comments: