Thursday, January 19, 2012

Post 1- RPG 303

Consider the home you know the best, how does this space help define a sense of place?

I had never really considered how much the home brings families, at least my family, together until having moved houses a few years ago. It's funny how a person can become so attached to a physical structure. I had grown up in one house my whole life, and with that many family traditions formed around that. As the youngest my home (of all things) provided comfort when both my brother and sister had left, it was something that held all the wonderful memories. As Kris said, it was like a sanctuary. When we moved it felt like everything was up in the air, I didn't have a finished home to go to, and the traditions we had had we now no longer "important." This is where the distinction between a house and a home comes in. The home is not just a shelter, it is a safe haven from outside troubles. It also brings people together. No home is the same, each has its own characteristics and its own family to give it its purpose. I like older neighborhoods for this reason because they show so much life in how each one is completely different, not attempting to fit some cookie-cutter mold that has be more recently created.

No comments: