Monday, December 10, 2007

Reconstruction & Eric Foner

For as long as I can remember I have been taught that the reconstruction of the south was corrupt and mishandled. It truly surprised me to learn that the history of this period had been misrepresented. A short history of reconstruction by Eric Foner was quite the enlightening read. So I decided to do some background research on Foner. He has been a faculty member in the department of history at Columbia University since 1982 and writes extensively on political history, the history of freedom, the early history of the Republican Party, African American biography, Reconstruction, and historiography. Foner is considered the leading contemporary historian of the post-Civil War Reconstruction period. I really enjoyed the alternative view to the Reconstruction period that Foner offered. 

No comments: