Friday, December 7, 2007

This is Her story not His

The first Episode was truly difficult for me, I didn't know how to approach it. My first episode was a picture of Rollins College in 1886. It was interesting. I thought it be fun to write about Rollins in it's earliest state. The assignment sounded cool. I was going to re-create history. I was going to bring an artifact to life. Then when I finally sat down it got really confusing. I re-read the directions and took the word episode literally. I took it as a story not a narrative. So I started writing an episode. I tried to describe the picture the best I could so that the readers could use their imagination and visualize it. Therefore, they would know exactly what I was talking about. After I started writing the episode instead of the artifact being a connection between now and the past, it was just an old picture. So I looked at more pictures, and finally I found something that interested me, fire. It turns out Knowles Hall was burned down in 1909. I started looking through pro-quest to find out how the building burned down. However that offered me no help. So instead I took the burning down as something that nobody knew about. I began writing an episode filled with mystery, twist and theories. I thought I was perfectly fine by doing so because Dr. Chambliss told us to complete the assignment to the best of our knowledge. To the best of my Knowledge meant, only the people that burned down the building knew what happened. I started writing the story, but somehow I got carried away. Then I revised my episode made it a little more concrete and was ready to turn it in. Then tragedy struck, I looked at the picture's date and saw that the building burned down in 1909. So I began writing about the boring, old picture again. Then half-way through the episode I started writing about the building again. Needless to say I didn't do so well on my first episode.

No comments: