Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hannibal Square Library

As I was researching the history of the library, I discovered parts of Rollins College's history I ignored and am glad I discovered. First of all, I'm glad to know Rollins College has always been a liberal and socially active community even when going through tough times like the era of segregation in the South. It makes me really happy to know that the faculty has always been committed to the ideals of community service and leadership, as exemplified by the creation of the library itself. I'm proud to attend an academic community with a tradition of community leadership and social work and a faculty that encouraged their students to go beyond their own expectations and encouraged them to change their community, this before Rollins College became the academic landmark it is today! The Hannibal Square Library is a symbol of the Winter Park community's commitment to social service, yet we must agree that 85% of the library's achievements happened thanks to the Inter-faith and Race Relations Committee of Rollins College.

No comments: